Saturday, January 28, 2012

the long road

I sit here at Sky Harbor about to board a flight that will take me through Denver and, thusly, onward to the place I call home once more, Atlanta. In this moment, it seems so odd how I've ended up here. It feels as if life has been a constant blur of passing trains and departing flights. There are no regrets felt for the decisions that I have made over the last year, just a wonder over what is to come.

This morning as I packed my bags, my friend's daughter, Madeleine, stealthy crept into the room and started to dig into her piggy bank of chocolates. Curious, I allowed her to continue her little spy mission and waited to see what she was planning. She finished rifling through her bank of treats and turned to me and held out her hand. "Here," she whispered. "I want you to have these to remember me by. You'll need a snack on the plane and these are for you."

Needless to say, I feel blessed to have such love in my life. I have great friends all over this country that I would do anything for. Madeleine's sacrifice is very telling of how gracious these friends have been and continue to be. I suppose this long overdue post is for all of you who I hold dear to me. All I can offer are words. I appreciate every one of you. Thank you for being who you are. Whether you give up sleeping in to drive me all over the place, or made a little extra dinner to take care of me, or send well-wishes as I try to figure out where I belong, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. It is truly good to know that friendship can be the family and the hope that you need.

So, before I ramble on too long, I just want you all to know that I appreciate you. The road of life is long, I'm glad to share it with you. We will laugh together again soon.

No comments: