Thursday, February 9, 2012

from here to the next moment

A sensitive heart - one that every heartbeat treads softly upon each passing moment - is a heaven and hell of existence. All too often I have lived, suspended, between the intertwined passageways of someone else's feelings, falling beyond the depths of pain that they feel or even expected to feel, and, conversely, soaring a bit too high upon moments fixed with glass ceilings. Those days are past.

I sit here tonight nostalgically recalling glimpses of my past through a musical tide of songs - songs that understood those moments better than I did. One that sticks out is Sowing Season by Brand New. Within the strains of Jesse Lacey's voice, I can see precise moments and re-experience those exact feelings. The night drive in the mountains, shouting unlearned lyrics into each curve of the fleeting highway, feeling the sense of rejection drown in guitar riffs and yelled choruses - the healing power of song is immeasurable.

I won't bore you with the details of this story, but I thought I would share a song that, even in it's simplest affirming parts, was freeing to my soul. May music meet you where you are.

Is it in you now?
To watch the things you gave your life to broken
And stoop then build them up with worn out tools

No comments: