Sunday, September 7, 2014

the death of comparison

We come in all shapes, sizes, colors, etc. and our uniqueness is beautiful. There is no one else exactly like you on this earth. I think we far too often forget that. I know I do.

I have struggled for a long time with my physical appearance. When I was young, I wanted to be like Michael Jordan - athletic, 6'6", famous, successful, black (kidding...wait, no I'm not). If you have met me, or perused my photos on the interwebs, then you would be aware that none of the above are true.

Most of the time, I have covered over this self-professed flaw with copious amounts of sarcasm.
Oddly enough, it turns out that sarcasm is not the cure for self-loathing. Who knew?

But, it turns out that I was never meant to be Michael Jordan, or anyone else for that matter. I was created to be Kenny Bump. And despite my unique flaws, I am successfully myself every day.

One of my favorite stories ever talks about a young boy who would be king. He was the youngest of his brothers, not as handsome, not as big. But, the story reveals after he is chosen king, much to the chagrin of his brothers, that his heart was what made him worthy to be king. He would lead his country to the highest point of it's existence. He would slay giants, increase in wealth, crush all of his enemies, and win the hearts of the people. Not too shabby for the not-as-handsome duckling, huh? Now, he was not without fault, but he was the only person to be called out as being "a man after God's own heart". Verily, my favorite verse in the Word says, "For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart."

I have always believed that there is purpose in everything. So, with that thought in mind, wouldn't that mean we are all created just the way we are for a specific purpose?

God already had a Michael Jordan on this earth. He needed a sarcastic, pale, skinny, ambitious Kenny Bump. That's my cue.  So, it's time that we stop comparing ourselves to others and live the lives we were made to.

Don't drink the arsenic of looking at other people's lives and wishing you were them or had what they had. Too often we don't know the whole story.

If we focus on living our own story, just imagine the kingdoms that could be built. It's time for a funeral, folks. Let's bury comparison once and for all. You in? Good. I brought the shovel.

Do not go gentle.




No comments: